The Kansas Firefighters Museum was once home to the last horse drawn fire station for the Wichita Fire Department. The construction for Engine House No. 6 was completed at the end of 1909 and the station went into service on January 2nd, 1910 with a combination hose and chemical wagon, four firefighters (Fred Davis, Charles Duffner, WR Snow, and Willie Spenser), and a team of two fire horses Tom and Dick.
By 1918 all fire horses were retired from the city and the Wichita Fire Department became the first all motorized fire department in the United States and the second in the world!
In 1953 Engine House No. 6 was closed down by the Wichita Fire Department. However, it was not dead. It was manned and operated by the Civil Preparedness, reserve firefighters who answered calls not just in the city but the county as well. In the 1980’s the Fire Reserve moved to another building and the old engine house became a storage facility for the Wichita Fire Department.
Over the years the condition of old Engine House No. 6 became more and more rundown and the building was scheduled for demolition. However, in 1993 the Historic Preservation Alliance of Wichita and Sedgwick County formed an organization known as Friends of Engine House No. 6, which combined with concerned firefighters and neighborhood residents of the station and were able to petition the city and halt the demolition. These same good people came together and through much blood, sweat, and tears restored old Engine House 6 to its current glory and established the Kansas Firefighters Museum. In 1994 the building was placed on the Kansas and National Registers of Historic Places. In 2007 the State of Kansas recognized the museum as the “official state firefighter’s museum.” In 2001 it added the Kansas Fallen Firefighters Memorial, a memorial park that has a brick and granite wall with the names of all Kansas firefighters that died in the line of duty. As well as the “Final Call” statue. A larger than life bronze statue of a firefighter searching through the rubble for his comrade finding his damaged helmet.